Appalachian Sunrise Chalet is the perfect place to stay and enjoy all that the Shenandoah Valley has to offer. There is much to see and do, if you can tear yourself away from the comfort of this luxury retreat. The scenic Shenandoah Valley and historic Luray area has lots of activities both outdoors and in, to enjoy no matter the weather or time of year.
The South-Fork of the Shenandoah (meaning, Daughter of the Stars), for which the valley is named, is a flowing, mountain-river, long recognized as one of the premier canoeing rivers in the East.
The river, a geologic oddity, flows north through remote terrain with Shenandoah National Park to the east and George Washington National Forest to the west.
The crystal-clear water passes over a solid-rock bottom creating many interesting riffles and pools, with some beginner white water (class II) rapids. This makes it an ideal river for water enthusiasts of every experience level. Fishing is superb.
Appalachian Sunrise Cabin has walking-distance access to the Shenandoah River. Enjoy canoeing, tubing, fishing, swimming or just relaxing on the river-bank! This photo depicts our River-Access
Point, just 100 yards from your stay!
CANOE, KAYAK, RAFT, SWIM & TUBE
Shenandoah National Park
Shenandoah National Park
is your escape to recreation and re-creation. Cascading waterfalls, spectacular vistas, quiet wooded hollows—plan a hike, a meander along Skyline Drive, or a picnic with the family. 200,000 acres of protected lands are haven to deer, songbirds, the night sky…and you.
- Beautiful Wallking, Biking and Running trails on Luray's Hawksbill Greenway
WHAT WILL YOU DISCOVER?
Enjoy the Day Underground!
The world famous Luray Caverns
is a "must see" when planning your visit. The caverns features many large formations, and even rocks that "sing". The 1.25 mile guided-tour is a nice walk on lighted pathways. Also at the Luray Caverns you can enjoy many other attractions like the Car and Carriage Museum, Luray Valley Museum, and a Garden Maze!
- The Skyline Caverns is just a short drive away and features a guided Caverns tour, mirror maze and miniature train ride!
Enjoy outstanding golf in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley at Caverns Country Club Resort
. Nestled in the shadows of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and overlooking the fabled Shenandoah River, the unique setting of the river and mountains creates one of the most scenic golf opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic region.
Even More To Do
- Lake Arrowhead - a 34-acre lake, offers summer swimming on a white sand beach, canoes, paddle-boats, picnic areas and more!
- Shenandoah Speedway - Enjoy an Auto race, every Saturday at 5PM, May-October. Call (540) 652-1108 for more information.
- The Luray Rescue Zoo - Large Snake exibit, Petting zoo, live animal shows and more! The only Rescue Zoo in Virginia.
- Appalachian Adventures - ATV, Fishing, Canoes, kayaks, tubes, Jet Skis, Charter Boats, and Shooting Range Equipment! Fun for the whole Family!
Enjoy Civil War Trails, the Massanutten one-room school house, Historic Calendine, the Hamburg Country Store and Mauk Meeting House. For more information on local Historic Landmarks and activities, please visit the Page County Heritage Association.
To learn more about the valley's National Historic District designation, visit Shenandoah Valley Battlefields
Wine & Dine
With all there is to do, you might just want to extend your stay!